This entry was published at least two years ago (originally posted on June 12, 2009). Since that time the information may have become outdated or my beliefs may have changed (in general, assume a more open and liberal current viewpoint). A fuller disclaimer is available.
Sometime between June 8th and June 12th, I thought this stuff was interesting. You might think so too!
- The grand strategy of Al-Qa’ida can be thought of as auto-immune warfare:: "Specifically, auto-immune war is a strategy, but its tactical implementation is the creation of false positive responses. Security obsession gums up the economy with inefficiencies. Terrorism terrorises the public; security theatre keeps them that way. As Kilcullen points out, every day, millions of travellers are systematically reminded of terrorism by government security precautions. Profiling measures subject entire communities to indignity and waste endless hours of police time. Vast sums of money are spent on counterproductive equipment programs and unlikely techno-fixes. National identity cards and monster databases are the specific symptoms of this pathology in the UK, just as idiotic militarism is in the US."
- Clove Cigarettes to be illegal: Well, now what are all the goths and gothlings going to smoke at the clubs? "This one's been pretty much under the radar, but HR 1265, the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act will ban 'harm-reduced' cigarettes (those labeled 'mild' or 'light') and flavored cigarettes. It also puts tobacco regulation under the FDA. This bill just passed the Senate and President Obama has said that he will be signing it into law. Here's a few tasty excerpts: Prohibits a cigarette or any of its components from containing as a constituent or additive any artificial or natural flavor (other than tobacco or menthol) or any herb or spice (including strawberry, grape, orange, clove, cinnamon, and vanilla) that is a characterizing flavor of the tobacco product or tobacco smoke."
- 30 ROCK Is a Rip-Off of the MUPPET SHOW!: I've never seen 30 Rock, but now I want to… "Tina Fey's 30 ROCK is currently the most acclaimed comedy series on television. It's won numerous Emmys and Golden Globes and I think Pulitzers. Critics and audiences alike love the show and its lovable zany characters, and consider it one of the most original comedies in years. And I guess it is original…if you've never seen THE MUPPET SHOW. Because, my 'friends' (in quotes because I don't know or trust you, please don't be offended), Tina Fey's 30 ROCK is quite obviously ripping off Jim Henson's beloved TV show. 'You're crazy', you say? 'Wow, now with the insults. This is why I don't trust you', I respond. And the I hit you up with so many facts you HAVE to concede I'm absolutely right."
- Exclusive: The Future of Facebook Usernames: "June 13, 12:15am: A first wave of 'It's alive! Go get your name!' posts go up on various technology blogs, noting that the service is running a little bit slow. None of these posts mention that you can also register a real domain name that you can own, instead of just having another URL on Facebook."
- Yub Jub Means "Devour the Weak": An Authoritative Study of Ewoks, From the Field Notes of Davo Atten-Boru and Pladdo Cardigun, Exo-Naturalists.: "After several cycles of exhaustive fieldwork, we can unequivocally report that Ewoks are not the naïve companionable canopy dwellers initially reported by Alliance military sources, but rather a singularly violent, cunning species, driven by perpetual internecine combat and territory acquisition."
- Sprinkle When You Tinkle: "See, commonly women will say, 'Can't you aim straight?' unaware that the aim is completely irrelevant to the path the wee decides to take once leaving the body. As I said, this is true for both ladies and gentlemen. Ladies don't realise this happens because they don't watch themselves wee. Yet, their wee sprinkles out into the gap between the seat and the rim of the porcelain of the loo."