Sometime between February 3rd and February 12th, I thought this stuff was interesting. You might think so too!
- Now You Can Facebook Chat Through iChat: "The set-up is pretty easy. All you do is go to the iChat's 'Preferences', menu, click 'Accounts' add a new account, select 'Jabber' from the pull-down menu and then type in your screen name (email@example.com) and password. You then edit your 'Server Options' to point to chat.facebook.com at port 5222, unticking SSL as you go. Click OK and you're all set to harass and be harassed by Facebook friends through iChat at any time."
- How to Create a Google Buzz Desktop App: "If you've used Buzz in its two current versions, inside Gmail and on the iPhone, you've probably noticed (like me) that the iPhone web app version is much better. Here's a quick little howto to take advantage of the much less clunky mobile UI for Buzz — assuming you're on a Mac." I'm actually not sure if I'm going to run this much, but I'm experimenting with it.
- Deckle Edge in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction: "The deckle edge dates back to a time when you used to need a knife to read a book. Those rough edges simulate the look of pages that have been sliced open by the reader. The printing happened on large sheets of paper which were then folded into rectangles the size of the finished pages and bound. The reader then sliced open the folds. Paper knives, variants of letter openers, were used for this purpose."
- Pepsi Skips Super Bowl TV Advertising for Social Media: "Instead of pouring millions of dollars into a Super Bowl commercial, Pepsi has started a social-media campaign to promote its 'Pepsi Refresh' initiative. Pepsi plans to give away $20 million in grant money to fund projects in six categories: health, arts and culture, food and shelter, the planet, neighborhoods and education. People can go to the Pepsi website refresheverything.com — which can also be accessed through Facebook and Twitter — to both submit ideas and vote on others they find appealing. Among those on the site now: 'Help free healthcare clinic expand services to uninsured in rural TN' and 'Build a fitness center for all students in Hays, Kansas community.' Every month, the company will offer up to 32 grants to worthy projects."
- Confused by the ‘Lost’ Premiere? Never Fear! Damon and Carlton Explain a Few Things About the Start of Season 6 (SPOILERS AHEAD): "Warning, SPOILERS ahead. If you haven't seen the season premiere of Lost yet, you might not want to continue past the jump yet. Lost fans who have now seen the premiere can read ahead for some explanation from Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof. (Comments are likely to be full of spoilers also, you've been warned again.)"